Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Sugar FREE Halloween Treat for the little ones, and big ones!

Have you ever made your own Play-Doh? I know I have done a blog on the recipe a while back...but since then, I found a much easier recipe, that requires the same ingredients but less of them! Last year, I always made the Play-Doh for Noah's preschool, but I never played with it myself..I always packed it away, and sent it off to school. Not too long ago, Noah and I made some at home for Anabelle and him to play with. It was delightful!! Especially when it was fresh and warm!! I never knew something so simple could be so relaxing and therapeutic...a great stress reliever, for a few minutes anyway! On Thanksgiving, Noah brought his Play-Doh to dinner. After we all ate, he wanted to dive in and start creating, not five minutes passed and he was bored of it, but I tell you, I looked around the table and every single adult had a chunk! They were all busy making things like roses, fish, trucks, snakes, snails.......

Every time Halloween comes around, I struggle with an idea for a little treat to give the little guys...this year, I thought it would be nice to make them some orange Play-Doh!! I found stubby mason jars, did a label with a little pumpkin on the top, I wanted to add a tag with the recipe but didn't have time, maybe next year!!! (or on the goodie bags at the next birthday!!) and there you have it, a cute little treat for trick or treaters of all ages!!! Another thing I wanted to do was to add a little pumpkin cookie cutter, I didn't get around to that either, man I feel frazzled!


The best part about this Halloween treat is that there is NO SUGAR!!!! Its loads of fun, for the kids and the adults!! Here is the new recipe...

Simplified Play-Doh

2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup of salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp creme of tartar
2 little packs of koolaid, colour of your choice
(.59 at Safeway)

Add all the ingredients to a large pot. Heat over medium to high heat stirring continuously. Mixture will start to resemble mashed potatoes, and start to become a bit firm. Once a ball starts to form, and it is no longer easy to stir, poke to see if it's no longer sticky. Plunk out onto the counter, knead like dough until smooth, form into a ball. Let cool, place in an airtight container or ziplock bag, have fun!!

Happy Halloween!!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment