Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Juicy Pork Souvlaki with Lemony Roasted Potatoes

I switched Tuesday's dinner with Wednesdays, so tonight is the Grilled Vegetable Fajitas that I am really looking forward to! Last night I made pork souvlaki with lemony roasted potatoes (it was cool enough outside to use my oven). I know some people don't like pork, but I love it! Its lean, and picks up flavours really well! I cubed up two beautiful pork tenderloins, marinated them for about half an hour while I prepped my potatoes and threw together a salad. The recipe says 4 skewers....with my two tenderloins I had about 8 skewers? So I just doubled the olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper by eye...

Again this is a recipe from the August 2012 issue of Chatelaine magazine, http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/View/Juicy-pork-souvlaki I didn't serve it with the cauliflower salad, that wasn't appealing to me, so instead I chunked up some peeled russet potatoes, drizzled them with some olive oil, about 1/4 cup of lemon juice and salted them, put them in the oven at 400 for almost an hour, basting them throughout with the lemony juice. Close to the end I dotted them with some butter to crisp them up a bit.

Any type of meat on a stick is a novelty for the kids, and who cares if you have to serve with some ketchup! A delicious dinner, with leftovers to have in a wrap for lunch today!




I might as well tell you about the homemade ricotta cheese that I made the other day. It was so simple, and its really delicious! It may be just as easy to buy, and its really not that expensive, but all thats in this is milk, lemon juice, a tsp of salt and some cream. 

Once again, from Chatelaine magazine...http://food.chatelaine.com/recipes/view/creamy-ricotta I would salivate over the picture of the garlic crostini with fresh ricotta and tomatoes....so for the last few days, for lunch, I have been having a Wasa cracker with ricotta, sliced avocado, tomatoes and salt and pepper, delicious! 



The only thing you need to make sure you have is cheesecloth, which I just bought from the DollarStore. It also suggests a thermometer, but I just used the clock and my good eye ;-) I was amazed at how easy it really was! It was an item on my bucket list for the summer....so glad I tried it!

K


No comments:

Post a Comment