Sunday, August 7, 2011

mmmmmmmmm....

My father in law would always make this veggie dish that was so delicious. I finally asked him one day how he did it, glad I asked, because since then I have made it numerous times, and have just started to add it to pasta....we normally would have it as a side dish, or put it on fresh bread (that is still good!) but since the kids love pasta, and it is a great chance for them to eat their veggies I toss it with any kind of noodles. This time, I used Mafaldine?? I have never bought it before?? It's kind of like long, skinny lasagna noodles?? I liked the wavy edges! This is what he told me to do.....

8-10 roma tomatoes
peppers (I used one red, one yellow, one orange. No green, changes the taste!)
1 large eggplant
2 chopped garlic cloves

Chop everything up lengthwise. In large saucepan, fill the bottom with olive oil, maybe 1/4" thick?? Seems like a lot, but it makes a nice sauce with the juices from the vegetables. Add the chopped garlic. Heat the oil and garlic a bit, then add all the vegetables. Let everything heat up and start to cook, once things start to get soft, turn the heat right down, and continue to cook, uncovered. I let it cook for a good hour, I found the longer it cooks the better. Once everything is juicy and kinda mushy, its done. Cook your pasta, drain, then add to your saucepan with saucy vegetable mixture. Coat pasta, add some parmesan cheese and enjoy!!


We had our pasta with a radicchio salad. I love the bitter sting and snap of radicchio, along with the tang of balsamic vinegar. I added chopped celery, some sliced radishes and chopped cucumber. Tossed it with a bit of olive oil, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. It tasted fresh and delicious!


Seems I am starting to get back into the swing of things....July was a terrible month....

K

1 comment:

  1. yummy!! Glad to see you are finally feeding your kids vegetables ;) lol

    ReplyDelete