Friday, January 20, 2012

first attempt at dinner with a slow cooker...


Last night was my first attempt at dinner using a slow cooker. I threw it together before I went to work, put the rice on before I left for my appointment later in the afternoon, and voila, just like that it was all hot and ready! I knew it would be simple, I just always brushed the idea of a slow cooker off to the side...why did I need another huge appliance to take up counter space!? I realized that the Krups rice cooker that I got as a wedding gift, was also a steamer and a slow cooker!! SO I already had a home for it in the cupboard! It's not a huge capacity, but big enough for my family.

My girlfriend sent me a recipe she had tried. It was delicious!! I knew my husband would appreciate not having to make dinner, instead just open the lid and serve! This sounds good especially for the nights the kids have swimming, or soccer!

If you have a slow cooker, this is a must try...or, there is a good Hamilton Beach one on sale at Canadian Tire starting today for $29.99, regularly $59.99....

TEX MEX CHICKEN

1 lb chicken breasts cut into strips
2 tbsp taco seasoning mix
2 tbsp flour
1 red pepper cut into strips
1 yellow pepper cut into strips
1 cup of frozen corn (I used one can of niblets)
1 1/2 cups chunky salsa
1 cup shredded cheese

Coat your strips of chicken in the combined taco seasoning and flour, put in slow cooker. Stir in all the other ingredients except the cheese. Close the lid, set slow cooker for 6 hours. Get on with your day....serve over rice when ready (this you have to cook separately), and sprinkle with cheese.

Sorry, no pic, it got eaten up.....but take my word, DELISH!

K



No comments:

Post a Comment