Thursday, November 4, 2010

BABY FOOD


When Anabelle was born, my sister and I talked about making baby food. She told me she wanted to make all of Ronan's food (Ronan is 3 days younger than Anabelle) I was opposed to this idea. I remember attempting this for Noah when he was a baby, and it was a huge fail! I was not going to slave making yummy food, only for her to grimace and spit it at me like Noah did. My sister called me and told me she had made yams, and it was super easy. I know it's easy, but isn't it just as easy to buy a jar?

The day we went to the pumpkin patch, I stopped in at the market that is connected to the farm. Here I toyed with the idea of making some "yams". I bought a few small ones, along with some sweet potatoes. Weirdly, I was eager to come home and bake them.

I baked them slow and long with a little drizzle of olive oil in the pan....when they were done, I peeled them and blended them up in my little food processor with a bit of water. They came out nice and creamy, and yummy!

I had just enough to fill a whole ice cube tray (I prefer ice cube trays over the "Food Cubes", but whatever your preference is) when all the holes were filled, I wrapped the tray tightly with clear wrap and stuck them in the freezer. The next day, when they were nice and frozen I popped them out of the tray right into a ZipLock Freezer bag, and labelled them with the contents and date. I felt pretty proud of myself, and my sister was right, it was super easy! Here in this clear bag, were little convenient cubes of food! WOW!

I continued, and made sweet potatoes, accorn squash and carrots. I am stocked for a while! It is so great to just be able to grab a cube of veggies, especially when you are trying to make lunch for an almost 3 year old as well! and knowing that I made them, makes it even more lovely! The best part of this whole thing, is Anabelle LOVES them all!!!

Hopefully she will just as interested when I get to meat!

K

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention sis! xo It feels great to make food for your little one.... xo Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It's been easy and fun. Especially rewarding when they actually dig what you made. Z didn't like chicken so much on it's own because of the texture, but when I mixed it with yams, yum!

    Laurianne

    ReplyDelete