Thursday, November 18, 2010

"M" is for Midwife and Mother


For my second pregnancy, I decided to seek the care of a midwife. I had heard through the grapevine of a place called Pomegranate Community Midwives www.pomegranate-midwives.com right here in my neighbourhood. I felt very comfortable about this decision, was it because this was the second time around? I had a GP when I was pregnant with Noah, my experience was fine, and the Dr. that delivered him was fabulous, even though it was the first time I had met this MAN! Who I might add, sang "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash, as I pushed a baby out my yoohoo! I had always wondered about the care of a midwife. This time, I was certain I was going to try it.

From my very first appointment, I knew this was right for me. These women made me feel so comfortable, and made it very clear, that the decisions to follow, regarding my pregnancy and birth would be up to me, with some guidance from them. This was a very comforting feeling to me. I looked forward to attending all of my appointments, and I enjoyed relaxing on the maroon velvet chaise, while they checked my blood pressure, and listened to the galloping of my baby's heartbeat (they always let Noah press the button on the doppler, this was his favorite part!).

I enjoyed everyone on my team, but became particularly fond of Beth. This is who I was hoping would attend my delivery come March. So when shit started to go down (literally) in the wee hours of the 28th, she was there, waiting for me at BBY General at 5am. She was there, along with Alix, her student to "guide" me in delivering my baby. I say "guide" because that is what they did, my body did everything, they were there to tell me to keep going, and that I was doing a great job. As was my mom, my poor mom, it was her that kept me focused on my goal of taking no drugs (and to lend a hand to squeeze, and thighs to rest), that was a long night. Poor Fredo had seen nothing like this, it was VERY different from my delivery with Noah. They made me confident that my body could do this, naturally, and it did. At 12:10, that afternoon, Miss Anabelle Lauren was born, into my hands, MY very own hands!! The power, of reaching down and feeling the sex of your newborn baby is purely undescribable.

The moments after her birth were calm, relaxed and joyful. Things were slow, and quiet. What needed to get done, was done. I cannot tell you how amazing I felt after this delivery, so good in fact that I was home by 4:30pm that same day!

For the next few weeks, a midwife from my team would visit me at home. They would make sure I was okay, and that Anabelle was okay. They would weigh her, and make sure she was doing all the things a new baby should be doing. I received this loving care for six weeks (after two weeks of home visits, I went to the midwifery clinic), I was very sad when it all came to an end.

Although the choice of choosing a GP over a Midwife is a very personal one (MSP will cover the choice of either one). I do recommend the loving care of a Midwife, and only hope that you have an experience as joyful as mine!

K

Me and Anabelle, with our Midwife Beth Duncan






3 comments:

  1. Kristen, I am right there with you on midwifery. They are awesome. I am reading "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" right now and couldn't be happier with my decision, especially now that I am 27 weeks pregnant. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo! This one made me cry.. So blessed that I get to witness this miracle on a regular bases.. I love midwives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic post Kristen! I also could not be happier with my choice of having a midwife for the birth of my first baby. Not once have I been made to feel like this is a "medical' procedure and having the power to make my own choices for myself and my baby with the guidance of my midwife has made these past 33 weeks more relaxing than I could of ever imagined. As it is a very personal and important decision as to who will provide your prenatal care, more education as to who a Midwife is and what their specific role is needs to be done in order to make a informed decision. I also thank you for sharing your story....
    Love you
    ERIN

    ReplyDelete