Wednesday, November 17, 2010

So I did it myself.....


There was this wall, that stood in my dining room, bare, for a long time. I knew I wanted something to hang there, just wasn't sure what. I thought of a mirror, but I had one in my living room above my fireplace, just around the corner from this wall. I thought about an oversized photograph of my dads, I have so many frames. I thought of a piece of art, but what art could I really afford? I hummed and hawed (is that how you spell it?) and decided, art it was, and I was going to do it myself.

I got the idea from a girlfriend of mine, after seeing two that she did herself hanging in her apartment. She volunteered to help me out, but I decided Noah and I would be fine. I grabbed my 40% off coupon from Michaels, and headed out to buy the largest canvas that would fit in the space. While I was there, I picked up some silver spray paint, and a few acrylic paints I thought would look nice. A pearly creamy one, a light grey one and a darker grey one.....

Earlier, my friend had given me rough instructions on what to do, so I grabbed all the "tools" and Noah and I got to work. Plaster trowel in hand, I began smearing. I covered the canvas in plaster, following consecutive lines, back and forth. Noah would squirt some paint, and I would blend it through, still in consecutive lines. More paint, some spray paint, more paint....Once I decided it was how I wanted it to look, I let it dry overnight (thats a lie, I couldn't wait over night!) a few hours maybe?? I am not very patient.

Turns out, I loved the final product! Even better, it was homemade!! Cost me, maybe $50. It's an honor that it hangs in my dining room, made with love by myself and my 2 (almost 3) year old son!

So if there is ever something you want, and can't quite find the right thing out there in the retail world, attempt making it yourself, you could surprise yourself!

K


3 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS!! Good Job K and Noah!!!! xoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love so much that you and Noah made this together :)

    Annabelle's turn next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my hero...lol. This is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete